How to Join
District 08 Federal Credit Union strives to deliver the best service possible to our most important asset - our members.
What is a credit union?
A credit union is a cooperative financial institution, owned and controlled by the people who use its services. These people are members. Credit unions serve groups that share something in common, such as where they work, live, or go to church.
Credit unions are not-for-profit, and exist to provide a safe, convenient place for members to save money and to get loans at reasonable rates. Credit unions, like other financial institutions, are closely regulated. And they operate in a very prudent manner. The National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund, administered by the National Credit Union Administration, an agency of the federal government, insures deposits of credit union members at more than 11,000 federal and state-chartered credit unions nationwide. Deposits are insured up to $100,000.
What makes a credit union different from a bank or savings & loan? Like credit unions, these financial institutions accept deposits and make loans but unlike credit unions, they are in business to make a profit. Banks and savings & loans are owned by groups of stockholders whose interests include earning a healthy return on their investments.
Why join a credit union?
Founded on the basic democratic premise of the cooperative movement, credit unions believe that access to low-cost financial services is critical to the health and stability of ordinary citizens. In fact, more than 67 million Americans trust that their credit union will provide the services to improve their financial well being.
Credit union membership offers many benefits. Services offered range from simple savings to home equity loans. Study after study has revealed that on average, credit unions provide the best financial offerings with fewer fees, lower rates on loans and higher rates on savings. And credit unions continually score higher than all other financial institutions in consumer satisfaction surveys.
Credit unions strive to deliver the best service possible to their most important asset - their members.
At District 08 FCU we pride ourselves in personal service. We would like for you to come in and meet us to open your account. In the meantime, please take a moment to fill out the application so we can get things started and save some of your precious time!
You can join if you meet the following criteria:
- Employee of District 08 of the Louisiana Department of Transportation & Development who works in District 08 area of operation.
- Employee of the La. Dept. of Transportation & Development, Baton Rouge Headquarters Office, residing or working in the District 08 area of operation.
- Contractors of District 08 of the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development who work in District 08 area of operation.
- Spouses of persons who died while within the field of membership of this credit union; persons retired as pensioners or annuitants from the above employment; employees of District 08 Federal Credit Union; members of their immediate families or household; and organizations of such persons.
- Volunteers of District 08 Federal Credit Union.